After 67 hours of material aired, “Game of Thrones” has singlehandedly proven itself to be the best Television Series ever made. Based of George RR Martin’s “A Song Of Ice And Fire” Book Series, the HBO show has pushed all boundaries and expectations for what Television was supposed to be. We look at the best 15 episodes from the 60 episode run so far, covering Seasons 1 to 7, along with all the elements that makes them worthy of this list:
15 – Season 7 Episode 7: “The Wolf And The Lion”
– Longest Episode of the Series (thus far)
– Bronn and Tyrion Reunite
– The Hound and Brienne “Reunite” – Find a common ground with regards to Arya’s well being
– The Hound confronts his Zombie Brother: GET HYPE!
– Daenerys’ Entrance at the Dragonpit Meeting.
– Cersei’s Stoic Reaction to the Mother of Dragon’s Lateness
– The Entire Dragonpit Meeting
– The Way Qyburn Looks at the Undead Wight’s Hand
– Ends on a tense Cliffhanger (The Dead Attack The Wall)
– Tyrion finally confronts Cersei about the deaths of her children, their father, and the Real War
– Jaime finally lets go of Cersei
– Theon finds Redemption. Embarks on a Journey to save his sister Yara
– Littlefinger gets a taste of his own medicine and gets outsmarted by the Stark children.
– Jon Snow’s Parentage, “R+L=J” is FINALLY Confirmed and puts him as the Rightful Heir to the Iron Throne
– EPIC BOAT HOOKUP Between Jon Snow and (his aunt) Daenerys Targaryen
14 – Season 1 Episode 1: “Winter Is Coming”
– First Episode of the entire series.
– Introduced all the “Main” Characters (At least for the first season)
– Set the tone of the show (White Walkers and Feuding Families)
– Warned viewers that this show was not a conventional one: Multiple storylines panning across different locations
– Wasted no time in a shocking cliffhanger: Jaime Lannister pushing Bran Stark off the balcony after he caught him having incestuous liaisons with his sister the Queen.
13 – Season 4 Episode 6: “The Laws Of Gods & Men”
– First Time Braavos is used as a location. The Titan of Braavos looks imposing enough.
– Introduction of the Iron Bank of Braavos, until then only mentioned by Tyrion Lannister during his tenure as Master of Coins. The Crown owes the Iron Bank more than 2 Million Golden Stags
– Davos Stands for Stannis Baratheon and gets him a loan that will allow him to hire sellswords and head north to aid the Nights Watch.
– Yara’s failed attempt to rescue her brother Theon at the hands of Ramsey Snow, resulting in a battle between Bolton men and the Ironborn.
– Tyrion’s Trial. That alone makes the episode worthy of greatness.
12 – Season 4 Episode 2: “The Lion & The Rose”
– Joffrey gets poisoned at his wedding and dies. The moment fans had been waiting for so long. Need we say more?
– Ramsey’s Kennels are introduced as ruthless and hungry creatures
– Tyrion and Jaime reunion. Their first scene together since Season 1
– Bronn (instead of Ilyn Payne) trains Jaime to fight with his left hand, resulting in the usual quips one would expect from the sellsword
11 – Season 4 Episode 8: “The Mountain & The Viper”
– The Wildlings Attack Mole Town, before their attack on Castle Black
– Theon/Reek helps Ramsey seize Moat Caitlin from the Iron Born
– Sansa starts playing “The Game” and lies to protect Littlefinger for her aunt Lysa’s death.
– Jorah gets banished from Mereen by Daenerys for his treason in the first season
– Ramsey Snow is legitimized as Ramsey Bolton. The Boltons head to Winterfell
– Arya’s Laugh at the Bloody gate upon learningof her aunt Lysa’s death
– Littlefinger’s haunting death predictions
– Tyrion and Jaime’s last talk. Talks of their cousin Orson Lannister makes them laugh
– Tyrion’s Trial by Combat and its mind blowing twist.
10 – Season 7 Episode 6: “Beyond The Wall”
– Jon Snow, the Super Crew and their Adventures Beyond the Wall
– “Stop Winging”
– Jon and Jorah bond over Jeor Mormont.
– Jon returns Longclaw to Jorah, he declines.
– Tension between the Stark Sisters – Brought to you by Littlefinger
– The Hound and Tormund talk about Brienne
– Tyrion discusses Daenerys’ succession (which might come into play in Season 8)
– Wight Bear Attack
– The Frozen Lake Ambush
– Danerys and her Dragons Save the Day
– The Night King Kills Viseryion
– Benjen Stark/Coldhands saves Jon from the Wights
– The Night King Resurrects Viseryion
09 – Season 4 Episode 9: “The Watchers On The Wall”
– The Battle of Castle Black. The second time the show focused an entire episode on one battle in one location only.
– Battle of epic proportion including Giants riding mammoths
– Ygritte’s Tragic Death
– Jon Snow shows his leadership skills in a time of crisis
– Sam grows some balls: Kisses Gilly, kills a Thenn
– The Scythe at the wall ravages the Wildling climbers
08 – Season 6 Episode 5: “The Door”
– Sansa confronts Littlefinger
– Arya continues her training, scouts her new target
– The Mummers Troop’s play with a completely revisionist version of how King Robert and Ned Stark died
– Bran sees the birth of the Night King
– The Kingsmoot in the Iron Islands
– Danerys Orders Jorah to cure himself and return to her
– Bran gets marked by the Night King
– Tormund’s look of limerance towards Brienne
– The Night King attacks the Weirwood Tree where Bran and the Three Eyed Raven reside
– The last of the Children of the Forest dies
– Another Stark Direwolf dies: Summer
– The origins of “Hodor” revealed. Wylis/Hodor “Holds the Door” as sacrifice
07 – Season 7 Episode 4: “The Spoils Of War”
– Rickon, Dickon LOL
– The Catspaw Dagger is Brought Back into Play
– Bran sees through Littlefinger’s games
– Arya Returns to Winterfell
– Daenerys and Missandei’s “Girl Talk” on Grey Worm
– Jon Snow and Daenerys in the Cave
– Daenerys Decides to Take Charge in the War she’s Losing
– The Loot Train Attack in its Entirety
– A Dothraki Horde on an Open Field
– Drogon Roasts the Lannister Army
– Bronn and he looks at his Lost Gold
– Bronn Injures Drogon
– “FLEE YOU IDIOT”
– Bronn Saves Jaime from getting Shish Kababed….
06 – Season 1 Episode 9: “Baelor”
– Ned Stark’s Death: The first time the show punished the viewers for getting attached to a character, no matter how good and honorable they are
– Robb Stark makes a deal with Walder Frey to have his army cross the Twins
– Lord Commander Jeor Mormont gifts Longclaw to his steward Jon Snow as a reward for saving his life from a Wight
– Maester Aemon’s speech to Jon about Love and Honor vs. Duty
– Shae is introduced in the show
– Both Battles of the Green Fork and of the Whispering Wood occur but aren’t shown, with the show being relatively new and lower on budget.
– Jaime Lannister is now a prisoner of the Starks as a result.
05 – Season 2 Episode 9: “Blackwater”
– First episode to focus on one battle in one location
– The Battle of Blackwater in its entirety.
– Bronn and the Hound having “One last drink before the war”
– Tyrion’s Wildfire trick
– The Hound abandons his post and claims “Fu*k The King”
– Tyrion’s Speech to his men. “Those are brave men knocking at our doors. Let’s go kill them”
– Tyrion almost gets killed by Kingsguard Ser Mandon before Podrick saves him
– Tywin’s entrance in the Throne Room after saving the day
04 – Season 5 Episode 8: “Hardhome”
– The tense and completely unexpected Battle (more like Massacre) at Hardhome between Wildlings and the Nights Watch against the Night King, the White Walkers and their army of Undead Wights.
– The Big Reveal that Dragon Forged Valyrian Steel kills White Walkers
– The Night King taunting Jon Snow from the harbor as he doubles his army size in an instant
– Tyrion and Daenerys’ first meetings on ruling, and his fate
– Introduction and removal of fan favorite: Karsi the Wildling
– Imprisoned Cersei getting beaten and humiliated by Septa Olenna
03 – Season 6 Episode 9: “The Battle Of The Bastards”
– Not 1 but 2 Epic Battles: The Siege of Mereen, and the Battle of the Bastards in Winterfell, one of the most impressive battles ever filmed in any medium (The Highlight Reel in the link confirms it).
– Daenerys rides Drogon. Rhaegal and Viserion join in on the fight against the Slavers
– The newly forged Targaryen and Greyjoy alliance
– Daenerys and Yara flirting
– The Parlay between the Starks and the Boltons, Lyanna Mormont’s death stare in particular
– Sansa’s stern response to Ramsey at said parlay: “You’re going to die tomorrow Lord Bolton”
– Another Stark is killed. Rickon dies by arrows shot by Ramsey and his archers while Jon tries to save him
– Jon Snow vs. the Cavalry
– The Boltons entrap the Starks and the Wildlings
– Jon Snow’s asphyxiation scene in the pile of dead bodies
– Tormund vs Smalljon Umber
– The Knights of the Vale save the day
– Giant Wun Wun, the last of his kind, dies
– Jon beats the crap out of Ramsey
– Bolton Banners fall down from Winterfell. Stark Banners are put back where they belong
– Ramsey (finally) dies, eaten by his starving kennels as Sansa watches
02 – Season 3 Episode 9: “The Rains Of Castamere”
– The Red Wedding. The most shocking moment in Television History. Robb Stark, his mother Catelyn, his pregnant wife Talisa all get slaughtered at the Twins during the wedding of their ally and relative Edmure Tully and Roslin Frey. Walder Frey and Roose Bolton’s treason would end the War of the Five Kings which had been decimating Westeros ever since Robert Baratheon’s death.
– Another Stark Direwolf dies: Grey Wind
– Jorah Mormont, Grey Worm and Daario Naharis take Yunkai for Daenerys
– Sam and Gilly reach the Wall
– Jon Snow reveals he’s always been with the Nights Watch
01 – Season 6 Episode 10: “The Winds Of Winter”
– Cersei’s plans come to fruition: The Sept of Baelor is destroyed by Wildfire with her enemies inside
– The episode with the most significant character deaths: Pycelle, High Sparrow, Mace Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Margaery Tyrell, Kevan Lannister, Lancel Lannister, Septa Unella, Tommen Baratheon, Walder Frey
– Ramin Djawadi’s unconventional yet still daunting music, “Light of the Seven”, during the entire scene.
– Arya is back in Westeros, taking Walder Frey off her list
– Samwell arrives at the Citadel
– Jon banishes Melisandre from Winterfell. Davos threatens her as well
– Lady Olenna puts the Sands Snakes back in their place
– Dorne and the Reach ally with Daenerys Targaryen
– Tyrion is named the Hand of the Queen
– Littlefinger reveals his true intentions
– Bran sees Jon Snow’s birth at the Tower of Joy, finally confirming the R+L=J Theory
– Jon Snow is proclaimed the “White Wolf”, the King in the North
– Cersei is crowned Queen of the Seven Kingdoms
– The tense look between Jaime and his sister during her coronation, probably hinting at the “Valonqar” theory from Cersei’s Prophecy…
– Danerys Targaryen and her allies sail for Westeros